2

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It's Time to Show Frank LoBiondo the Door: David Kurkowski for Congress in NJ-02

Despite breaking a term-limit pledge, social conservative Frank LoBiondo, a Republican in New Jersey's 2nd district, absolutely should be taken out of office and replaced with a capable, new representative; that person should be Cape May councilman David Kurkowski. Kurkowski is slowly gaining traction in this southernmost N.J. district, and the more that LoBiondo's awful voting record and fundamentalist beliefs become apparent, the better position Kurkowski is in.

LoBiondo is a decent congressman on two issues, the environment and free trade/unions; but Kurkowski would be even better on both these issues, and he'd be working with an increased Democratic congress majority and (hopefully) President Obama and thus be able better to implement Democratic-led legislation in both these areas. LoBiondo is stridently, unapologetically pro-Iraq War and favors no withdrawal or benchmarks for the Iraqi government; Kurkowski opposes the Iraq War and and understands that strategic redeployment is necessary for our country's protection and Iraqi sovereignty.

LoBiondo's social conservatism is appalling: He has voted against Family Planning funding for women in developing nations if abortion was included as an option there, he opposes any and all stem cell research, and he voted to change the Constitution and restrict the rights of gay and lesbian couples. Meanwhile, as LoBiondo acts as an apologist for Bush-Cheney policies, the federal government continues to be less than helpful to struggling NJ-02 communities like Millville, Salem and Vineland.

Join the Kurkowski campaign and give a few bucks to his Act Blue page, if you can. New Jersey-02 deserves better than Frank LoBiondo

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just discovered your blog through politikernj.com. Although I disagree with a lot of your political viewpoints, I liked reading most of your posts. I think debate among people who disagree politically is important. That is one reason I decided to write this comment.

I don't know anything about LoBiondo, I don't live in his district and I don't know his stance on many issues. But your post against him seemed more like talking points and partisan hyperbole rather than a debate on why his positions are wrong or not in the best interest of his district.

I look forward to reading more of your opinions in the future. Maybe we can debate some specific issues.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"It is inadequate to say to the people who believed in me that I am sorry, as it is inadequate to say to the people who love me that I am sorry. In the course of several campaigns, I started to believe that I was special and became increasingly egocentric and narcissistic."

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Michael Martin said...

C or Jason, Thanks for the constructive comments and for engaging in a dialogue. I imagine that I could have made my points about LoBiondo more distric-centered, but I think his national-centered voting record (pro-war, social conservative) also merit scrutiny. And, yes, I'd be pleased to have a civil debate at some time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home